Monday, March 17, 2014

Eagle Scouts and Answered Prayers


As I am writing all of these fun and random facts and stories, I realize that I’ve not really explained how I wound up in Colombia this time around. Technically, I was a volunteer for an Eagle Scout project. I definitely fall into that category of persons who take upon the honor of volunteer without actually volunteering anything...

Last September, my friend Bibiana, whom I met while working with Formando Vidas, came to visit me. That just happened to be around the time that Tyrel, the youngest of my family of friends, was planning his Eagle Scout project. Long story short, the chosen project was a water filtration system for the ministry farm, the home where the children in long-term care lived. Tyrel’s job was to coordinate volunteers to get the task accomplished. My role as a volunteer? Well, I did give names, emails, and connections.

And then Boy Scouts of America had to make sure I was safe to spend time with Tyrel. I underwent Youth Protection Training (as a teacher I know nothing of this), and, of course, I agreed to not spend time around any child without a 3rd person around. Since Tyrel is so little and vulnerable. Also, I had to go to a doctor to make sure I was up to the strenuous adventures of this trip. He looked in my throat, took my blood pressure, checked my bmi, and spent 30 minutes telling about leading Cub Scouts. 

Although the project had originally involved ditches and piping, with which I could have actually assisted, it gradually changed form. The systems were house-specific, so they were basically a plumbing project Since the Fuchs were not tied to the public school schedule, they (Tyrel and his two parent volunteers) had the freedom to get cheap plane tickets, leaving earlier, returning later. By the time I got to Bogota, they’d found all the needed parts, mostly installed one system and were set to install the 2nd. After I spent one day visiting people in the ministry, they were almost finished with two systems and had all the plumbing installed for a 3rd. 

I was also informed they were God’s answers to prayers. Ethan fixed a roof, while Dianne fixed the children’s clothes. They were called a ‘gran bendicion’ (a great blessing) and a joy to have around.

And me? I just showed up, laughed, visited, translated a little. And we all decided that since we were already in Colombia, we’d have a grand adventure. Hence, we flew to the Amazon. But THAT is another story.

No comments: