Friday, August 12, 2011

Borrowing children




I'm always amazed by people who knew me when I was little and still recognize me. Apparently I haven't changed much. Anyway, the other day in Dairy Queen, I was chatting with one of these. She wondered if my 12 year old friend was my child.

"I'm not old enough to be his mom!!!!" I thought - but I didn't say it. All of a sudden I realized that I am old enough to be his mom. That's a little scary.

I've developed a friendship with a family at church who have a 6 and a 7 year old; they've had a lot going on, so the kids have stayed with me a lot lately. My mom commented that as a a caregiver I would not, "usurp parental authority," despite having the kids for so much time.

During the Dairy Queen discussion, I told my acquaintance, "I just borrow other people's children." She said, "It's nice to take them home, isn't it, then the parents have the problems?" I had to think.... sometimes it is. I am a little spoiled to looking forward to a quiet house and only myself to keep on schedule. These young friends, unlike Eagles' Wings kids, go home to loving parents. I don't have to worry about them, or usurp the parents in order to give the children structure, so taking them home doesn't cause me grief.

But I said, "Sometimes it isn't. I like kids." It's true: that's probably why I'm a teacher. Why Eagles' Wings drew me. Why I beg to babysit, and sometimes just outright ask to borrow children for a while. I'm not sure that the quiet house outweighs the joy of life with young ones. And when I have them, the responsibility strikes me repeatedly: what will this child take away from me? Will their parents appreciate that which I return? Or - do I just enjoy the moment and avoid the problems?

A choice to make...

What about our other blessings? The ones the Lord loans us. When we return them, what does He receive? What do our friends take away? How do we care for our gifts and talents and time? Enjoy the moment and avoid the problems? Or remember that a debt should be repaid in full, with interest. To him that has, it shall be given....

No comments: