Friday, March 9, 2012

One day in seven



All week long, the Lord gives me people to love. My students. My Bible study group. My friend and her children. The community and coworkers. Not that I’m not blessed in return. I most certainly am! They thank me, help me, befriend me - but the fact is the week makes me tired. I am constantly thinking, on guard, aware, planning, plotting... regretting.


And on Sundays, lately, I feel selfish. On Sundays I’m just flat out loved. I talk to people about things that matter to me, just because I want to talk about them. I don’t guard my words or plan my deeds quite so carefully. I’m hugged, I eat, I laugh. A lot.


By the end of a weekday, and especially by the end of a week, all I want to do is sleep, zone out, veg out. If I had a TV, I would waste a lot of time at that point (hello, facebook).


On Sunday, I need sleep sometimes, but I’m wired. I’m excited. I want to be up. I want to go, want to do, want to visit. I cherish watching the sunrise with God while I drink coffee, and I await a nap in the sunshine, but I’m perfectly willing to modify my schedule if it means passing the day with friends.


I read once that the purpose of the Sabbath was to force us to let God take care of things, since we weren’t supposed to. It makes sense. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath - and oh, how blessed to rest, to know that I am not in control. That may be why Christian friends are such a blessing - they’re easier to trust because they trust Him. Hebrews is clear, though, that those who rest in the Lord rest not only on the sabbath, they rest all week, for - His yoke is easy. His burden is light.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good post! I need to come back and read this often.